Friday, October 1, 2010

Color & Words

Here in Duluth we're in about peak fall colors. Brilliant oranges, yellows, some red and all colors in between - sometimes in one yard, one tree or even one leaf. The autumn is my favorite time of year. Blue skies frame the trees. I went to an early 7 a.m. meeting with the Duluth Chamber of Commerce. I mainly announced my wendyupnorth.com website which has the local art fairs that I organize plus some art classes and fun videos. It links over to DulcimersInDuluth.com. Not everyone can spelling Duluth properly and the word dulcimer also isn't easily spelled for some people to wendyupnorth is a bit easier. I'm hoping to have several opportunities to play holiday music at events this season. I also especially love to play with receptions - artist gatherings, fundraiser, and celebrations.

I've been playing around the writing some draft bits of local history songs. The fun part about music is its so broad. There are always more songs to learn let alone compose. As for the songs (not just instrumental pieces) they work well to tell a story, celebrate a season or occasion, or change a mood. As much as there are many colors - there are many words. Combine the colors and see the 'show' change each day and combine the words and make a new ditty each day. Add different notes to the same phrase and you have even more possibilities. The chamber meeting was held at United Way. I don't have the easily identified label of Works at the YMCA or other 'big' positions. I'm simply the wide-eyed entrepreneur with a lot of interests and ideas ranging from dulcimers, art/gift fairs (local), to make buttons and to, in general, life long learning. Too much to say as a quick intro. I also volunteered this morning at KUMD 1033 local public radio during their pledge drive. I noticed in their window KUMD letters made in 3-D out of cardboard. It was fun to see the letters and I could see people having fun with cardboard to make other messages in 3-D (remember I do have Cardboard dulcimer kits on my website...). There are possibilities in life - it's all a matter of how we look at things and what we perceive is there. New life for 'garbage,' new steps for a new day. By the end of this month the tree colors will be gone but I hope some of the song bits are strung together to play again and again and I will have some of my photos to remember the beauty of nature in the fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment