Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Dulcimer classes in the community

I have started my round of teaching mountain dulcimer classes at libraries throughout Northeastern Minnesota. I will be going to 10 libraries in the Iron Range. I have my Santa bag filled with dulcimers ready for people to sample what it's like to play a dulcimer. What is especially fun is that youth and adults pick up the dulcimer so easily. Strum, pluck, move a finger around and new sounds come out. The sounds sound good, too. I always show how to use the noter (little wooden stick) to slide around the dulcimer and to even use a stick as a striker in the right hand for more sound variation. These library classes are requiring many more hours of driving than class time but that's what it takes to go around - even up to the Canadian border. I know many people don't know what a dulcimer is - let alone that there are two types. I do appreciate the opportunities to introduce the dulcimers to others. After all, the mountain dulcimer is an American folk instrument.

I wonder if televisions weren't invented if more people would be making music. Duluth area does have quite a few musicians/music makers. I'd like to see schools introduce the dulcimers and not just keyboards, recorders, and band instruments. I admire Terrance Smith, a local enthusiast of folk dance. He's taught many people of all ages to feel music and dance to the beat. When I was in college I was on the Synchronized Swimming Team and we had special speakers we'd place in the pool. We'd design/choreograph routines to the music. I always liked making the movements and shapes as a group. Imagine if as we create music on our instrument if colors and shapes would appear around us. I think once we develop our hearing and listening sense our other senses can improve, too. We are much more than vision/sight creatures. Go ahead and make a little music today - even if it's only a vocal piece or repeat of a commercial. All of us our instruments.

No comments:

Post a Comment