Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Beginnings

I'll go with the topic of beginnings for this weekly entry. I've been teaching a few beginner dulcimer classes and appreciate the eager interest of new players and how quickly they pick up playing melodies on the dulcimer. I appreciate the beginning of the day and the early morning light. Last Saturday a few of us greeted the dawn while standing beside Lake Superior. It's the beginning of spring. I teach a biology class and the students had their final last night. The class has ended and I wish the students well on their further beginnings of future courses and the opportunities in their field. As I read different books from the library or that I purchase I notice quite a few have a intro and a forward and sometimes comments before the actually book begins. I usually do read all those sections to get a framework for the book. Meanwhile, I does delay getting to the book. Books are great entries into so many topics. When I begin a book I have an initial goal of what I want to learn but really there often are interesting tidbits and surprises in the book. I did some reviewing of high school student papers has part of MN History Day and it was interesting to read their research. My favorite was the beginnings of Anesthesia -Victory over Pain one. Think how many things we use today had to have some sort of beginning. Most go through several improvement/testing stages. How much can be improve still? I don't always begin my day with an early breakfast but instead do some computer work first. I probably wouldn't eat until 2 p.m. or so if I just kept working but I stop to go give my body some food. The Treasures of the Earth Green Art Fair is this Saturday and there are more signs to make, final round of publicity, and checking on artists and their locations at the fair. I love the beginnings of a fair and the anticipation of the buzz of activity that comes. Each artists sets up their wares how they wish. There also will be beginnings of new connections made at the fair - customers, friends, etc. I like beginnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment