Monday, July 18, 2011

Lake Superior

I am pleased to live in Duluth. Lake Superior is definitely an attraction and part of the area's natural beauty. My husband and I camped just a few feet from its shores over the weekend and went to some Lake Superior Day activities. It is a day of celebrating the lake and working toward protecting it. I have a dulcimer booth at a fair and had written a song (to the tune Battle Hymn of the Republic) about Lake Superior. Dulcimers are great instruments to play around with song writing especially on some of those old-time folk tunes. I had a button making setup where people would draw/color/write in a circle and I'd make a button (2.25") of their work. I had some maps of Lake Superior images to put in buttons, too. People like to abbreviate the event day - LSD and have that as a button or tshirt. I also have the setup for people to dye their own silk scarf. I have several shades of blue. The lake changes all the time - blues, greys, pinks, oranges, purples and the colors on the silk look water-like or maybe even like a blurred field of flowers. Last week I did a class at a local nursing home and one lady's scarf had an area that look just like two dogs smooching. Another time someone had one just like a person sitting down playing a piano. The way the colors move on the fabric or the notes and rhythms you mix together can bring some pretty pleasant surprises. Contact me if you'd like to have a dulcimer or music (or any) button made. It would be words, images, photos, anniversary message, or whatever. This Saturday, July 23 is one of the six art fairs I'll be organizing this year. For more info, go to WendyUpNorth.com. There will be over 35 female Northland artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment