Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Music Connects

It's April and we still have plenty of snow here in Duluth. Winter is trying to hold on. The first salty (ship coming from ocean) made it's way to the port in Duluth in late March - earlier than any other arrival in history. Some things are late; some things are early. It's not too late to register for Dulcimer Day. All the classes are open still. Come start playing the mountain or hammered dulcimer or get introduced to playing the ukulele, mandolin, bowed psaltry, or come sing in two singing workshops. Please register in advance. It's nice to see many of the attendees will stay for the dinner. I'll be putting that reservation in in two weeks. During dinner is the popular Open Mic. The fest this year will be a great opportunity to take in some great music - a mix of Celtic, traditional music, and hymns. You can also meet some members of the new local carving club. I'll be going to Carv-Fest in Faribault in August. Music, carving, so many fun traditional things to do. This month I'm also recruiting people in the area to come do some paper quilling with me to make cards for seniors at a local assisted living facility. We'll be making bright flowers and butterflies out of the rolled strips of paper. I'm glad to be able to share what I've learned on the dulcimers through teaching interested people directly or through the 11 years of this festival. I'll also always be a student, too. I like to play background music at events and this year will be adding music as the walkers pass by at the YWCA Mother's Day walk and then also playing at a Mother's Day tea. My mom passed away over 25 years ago and I miss her. She really was the one who was the start of me getting my first dulcimer way back in Indiana at an outdoor fair. I was just thinking of the very few items I have left that she's touched and my first dulcimer, her banjo, her turquoise ring, and two children's wood desks (from my grammar school - she was a rummage sale/bargain hunter) are about it. Music is a great way of connecting us - our families, our neighbors, and across time. I'll always value it.

No comments:

Post a Comment